Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Response to Tea/G-d Party Get out the vote

This will be my last comment on this because my purpose is being misconstrued. I have nothing but goodwill for you, Juliann. I have many fond memories of you from camp and I love reading about your life here on facebook. However, a good reading of your status implies, and I use the word imply very purposefully, that our Constitution is somehow being torn apart by current politics. This is the rallying point of the Tea party. All fine and good to believe that, even though it is not based on history. Where I don't agree with you is telling me that I personally need to vote for people that meet your criteria of being G-dly and your version of Constitutionally sound (what you say is getting back to basics). The purpose for me referencing my educational background in political science is to debunk the myth that the Tea party holds some ultimate answer of what the Founders wanted in the country or what direction our country should move to. It’s specious. The conflation and mythmaking of the Constitution with the Tea movement, and that this is somehow holy or divinely inspired, to me borders on blasphemy. It is clear that our conception of G-d is not the same. I have no problem with any differences that may exist between us. Are you ok with that? If you are not, how can you claim righteousness about such a topic? Choosing verses from the Bible is not authoritative. It only wraps/hides beliefs around Our story that does not have a singular narrative. If I may address Heather’s pointed words at me: faith is nothing without reason and knowledge. To have faith that the Earth is flat does not make it so. Faith is important. My faith in Christ sustains me, as it does you if I may guess. But faith is super-rational, not irrational. So please do not use faith as a shield against backing such flimsy dialogue. Additionally, being snide by repeating my usage of the word “trouble” is no way to make a point. And to inform you of why I do not write G-d’s name: I follow in the footsteps of my religious heritage in not naming G-d. To name something is to have power over it. G-d made me, not the other way around. To show respect to G-d, I treat the name as holy and do not name Him. In the future, you may want to ask people why they do things a certain way instead of making assumptions. One last thing: The Declaration of Independence refers to a Creator, but the Constitution does not use the word G-d in it. Not that it matters too much. What defines a people’s character is not a piece of paper, but how those people interact with the world around them. Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment